Christian Dating Advice: how to start Dating again?
CHRISTIAN DATING ARTICLES BY DR. JIM RIVES
(Written for Christian women, but can be reversed to apply for Christian men)
For Christian singles contemplating Christian dating, times have changed, but values have not! Am afraid that you will find more Christian men with less good manners and more into themselves.
Here are some thoughts that come to mind as you consider Christian dating again:
1. First (very important), build yourself a strong foundation of close Christian women friends. You should be accountable to each other, open and vulnerable. This will be a great resource to you as you find a variety of situations.
2. What a Christian man (or Christian singles in general) puts in emails, on paper or in their Christian dating profile is not always the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Take "words" - spoken or written - as AN indicator to be slowly confirmed over time.
3. Do not rush into anything. You will find Christian men who will "fall in love" with you at the drop of a hat. Their soothing words will be like fresh water in a desert to you. Be prepared for this and make sure that "the process" of Christian dating takes place over time before you allow your emotions to become engaged.
4. Internet dating is only one source of Christian dating - and frankly, a dangerous one. While it increases your odds to meet someone, it also increases your odds to get hurt. There is something about "incognito" behind the Internet that brings out strange behavior in people - especially men. I am not saying to not do this, just be careful and use extra precaution in using Christian dating sites.
5. Expectations - this one gets ALL of us in trouble. It is a temptation to lead with your heart as you seek to find someone to come into your world to counter the loneliness, etc. I strongly suggest that you do not place your expectations on other Christian singles that you meet for Christian dating, but put ALL your expectations on God. He will provide the best - if you wait on Him.
6. Do not focus only on Christian dating online. Find out where Christian singles in your area meet for activities, etc. This makes a great place to make friends and meet Christian men. Again, I always caution in the expectations area.
7. Make friends - not seek a future mate. I find this an easier approach to Christian dating. When a friendship comes along that you mutually wish to develop more, you will know it and can do so.
Am sure that there are many more points, but these are some that come to mind. May God guide, bless and protect you in your Christian dating journey.
Related Christian articles for singles: Christian Dating: What does the Bible teach Christian singles about inter-racial dating? And: Christian Singles: Hurting people hurt others! And: Advice for Christian Singles: Should a single Christian woman let a single Christian man know she is interested? And: Christian Singles: "Is it love?" And: Dear Pastor Jim: "Do you expect all Christian singles who want to be married to be happy being single?" And: Christian Dating: "Dear Christian Singles, what Criteria Do You Use for Dating other Christians?" And: Christian Singles, are you Getting the Same Results? And: Is Christianity An Excuse for Christian Singles to Be Passive? And: Finding the Will of God and Making godly Decisions
In His love,
Back to Table of Contents: Christian Dating Articles
Note: The answers provided in this site are intended to be as one provided by a minister. It is NOT intended to take the place of a licensed counselor. Dr. Rives encourages all who are seeking to resolve deeply rooted psychological, emotional or behavioral needs to seek the services of a trained and licensed counselor. The answers provided in this web site are intended to be words of encouragement and spiritual guidance as one would obtain from a licensed minister as well as the sharing of Dr Rives personal experience. Articles by Dr. Jim Rives used with permission, copyright © 2001-2009 JacobsMinistry.org Inc. (Arizona Non-Profit Corporation) All rights reserved.